A concept for the sustainable water management of an intelligently networked city is to be developed using the example of the southern Indian metropolis of Coimbatore, a traffic junction in the state of Tamil Nadu. The core of the new approach is to look at urban development challenges not only separately from traditional sectors. Instead, solutions for the water supply, energy supply and food safety are to be developed across the board and intelligently networked in order to reduce competition for resources. At the same time, the project can help German companies in the water sector to gain access to the huge Indian market for water and wastewater management.
The methodology for the analysis of the urban dynamics and strategy development is based on the “City Lab” approach developed in the Fraunhofer research network “Cities of the Future” which has already been successfully applied in the Georgian capital of Tbilisi.
- Understand: Local expert interviews, analysis of water management status quo in Coimbatore
- Involve: Discuss needs and potentials with local stakeholders and German water technology experts
- Develop: Plan a strategy for integrated water management and incorporate feedback
- Network: Develop the concept for a Water Innovation Hub for South India in Coimbatore
City analysis and stakeholder workshop identify two fields of action
The city analysis was based on interviews with local experts and the assessment of the local infrastructure. The needs identified were discussed and assessed on July 26, 2018 in a stakeholder workshop attended by nearly 30 participants from administration, private companies, universities, and civil society.
From this, the project team derived two urgent fields of action, which will be pursued further in the project:
- Semi-centralized, integrated municipal water management:
also considering the energy and food sectors
- Establishment of water quality monitoring system:
Technologies to monitor the quality of treated industrial effluents, surface waters and groundwater and to visualize the results