The service spectrum of the analytical department includes routine measurements as well as the development of novel methods. The range of equipment and know-how of the Analytical Services Division is geared to these technical challenges and offers a wide range of equipment and professionally trained personnel.
The main field of activity is instrumental analysis with a focus on chromatographic separation methods, but special titration options (such as water determination according to Karl Fischer) and UV-VIS photometer and ATR-IR measurements are also offered.
High-performance liquid chromatography
In high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), the separation of substances in HPLC is perfrmed by using a variety of columns with different separation mechanisms and a mobile liquid phase (eluent). The high diversity of column material and eluent composition allows a wide range of separation possibilities. The quantification of components is carried out by external calibration standard substances.
The Fraunhofer CBP has several HPLC systems with different detectors are used:
- HPLC with refractive index detector RID and diode array detector DAD
- RID as universal detector for the determination of sugars, alcohols, organic acids
- DAD for the detection of UV-active substances, substance identification is possible using spectrum libraries
- HPLC size exclusion chromatography with refractive index detector RID
- Special separation mechanism of size exclusion chromatography, the separation takes place according to molecule size for relative molar mass determination of lignin
- HPLC with Diode Array Detector DAD
- DAD for the detection of UV-active substances, substance identification is possible by using spectrum libraries
- Special analyses: furanedicarboxylic acid, xylonic acid, polyphenols, phenolic compounds, 5-HMF, furfural
Gas chromatographic separation methods are used to quantify vaporizable or already gaseous substances. An important criterion is that the substances do not decompose.
By using various GC- columns, complex mixtures of substances are separated via a temperature gradient and the content of individual components can be determined. The Fraunhofer CBP has several gas chromatographs and a wide variety of separation columns available for this purpose.
- GC with thermal conductivity detectors TCD and flame ionization detector FID
- Broad applicability
- Special use for gas analysis of CO2, CO, H2, CH4
- GC with mass-selective detector MSD and flame ionization detector FID
- MS screening of unknown substances
- Substances in complex sample matrix
- Phenolic compounds, sterols, fatty acids, solvents
- Headspace-GC with flame ionization detector FID
- Highly volatile substances in difficult sample matrices such as fermentation broths, wood pulping samples
- Alcohols, esters, ethers, highly volatile solvents