Sustainable resource management for industry, municipal authorities and agriculture
At Fraunhofer IGB in the business area Environment, systemic solutions are developed that provide integrated environmental protection for industry as well as for city and regional authorities, both in Germany and abroad. Our activities in this field comprise the development of new ideas and processes as well as individual solutions and products. Our aim is to achieve the greatest possible efficiency in the use of resources by following the concepts of the circular economy and sustainability.
Fraunhofer IGB is active in the development of:
- Innovations and solutions in water management and water treatment,
- processes for generating biogas from organic waste and residues,
- solutions that recover and reclaim nutrients from wastewater, organic waste and residues,
- processes for drying/torrefaction of organic waste fractions to produce soil conditioners,
- separation processes on the molecular and atomic level for the recovery of precious metals, and rare earth compounds as well as
- humidifier membranes for water management in fuel cells.
With our biological and biotechnological developments, further empowered by the latest digital innovations, Fraunhofer IGB drives innovation in environmental technology and the industrial transformation towards a sustainable and circular bioeconomy.