Smart health engineering and enabling technologies for precision medicine
The rapid increase in the acquisition and analysis of genome-wide data and the enormous potential for cell manipulation have led to the emergence of data-driven diagnostics and fundamentally new therapies, which already enables precision medicine – i.e., health care customized to the needs of the individual patient. At Fraunhofer IGB, our objective is to develop and enhance the enabling technologies required for precision medicine and thereby help improve the standard of medical care for patients while also reducing the costs of the health-care system.
We see preventive measures, such as curbing resistance development in microorganisms and emergence of zoonoses in the environment, as essential for relieving the burden on the healthcare system. Under the label Circular Health, we are active in this field together with the Fraunhofer Group for Resource Technologies and Bioeconomy.
Fraunhofer IGB is actively involved in the development of
- innovative, nucleic acid-based diagnostic procedures, particularly in the field of high-throughput sequencing and data analysis,
- human test systems for drug development and personal care,
- viruses, viral vectors and therapeutic viruses as well as processes for their production,
- materials for medical devices as well as
- quality-control systems for medical devices and drug development.